Naveen and I will be focusing on family and knocking out some other projects during the holidays, so Why Cook? is going to be empty for a few weeks. Enjoy these links, and we hope to post again next year!
- First, an overview of how taste works.
- Some tasting tips by our Drink Factory friends.
- Gastronomica calls the whole food pairing thing a fad.
- Hmm, but these guys don’t seem to think so. So they published a paper about it.
- The above article, simplified for the average reader.
- And finally Martin Lersch explains food pairing with simple analogies.
- Kenji calls this “the best thing to ever come out of my kitchen.” That’s pretty high praise, given it’s Kenji.
- Harold McGee wrote an awesome piece on dry-aging beef for Lucky Peach and Gizmodo picked it up. Serious geek cred.
- Clean your freezer with vanilla to get rid of that “musty” smell.
- 50 kitchen hacks via lifehackery. Some of these are awesome while others are… dubious. Worth a look.
- Clean aluminum pans with apple peels. (not sure why this works – I’m guessing it’s the malic acid in the apple itself?
- A moving and enlightening article about what actually goes into making a cheeseburger.
- White House pastry chef Bill Yosses explains “Molecular Pastry“.
- And here’s Nathan Mhyrvold giving a lecture at Harvard.